Sunday, September 19, 2010

Quicksilver Half Marathon: on the other side

No, I did not succumb to the temptation of running another race this weekend! I did better, I drove to a race, volunteered at the start (parking lot and goody bags) and took pictures of all the runners going out on the first hill. See my Piacasa photo album. To be honest, I actually drove twice to the start, first on Saturday morning, with Greg who was going to volunteer too, to find the door closed. It is not the first time that happens to me, being so used to races on Saturdays. I even called Adam who replied with a "Dude, it's tomorrow!" At least I did not wake him up as he was on his way to place 2nd at the PCTR Woodside 10K, one week after dropping from Wasatch 100 with a swollen ankle...
Race Director, the very same Adam Blum and Rhomobile CEO, did a great job of organizing this event on behalf of our Quicksilver of San Jose Running Club. It is his third year, although there has been some adjustments with the format, now down to two distances: a 10K and a Half Marathon, both hilly and on trails. About 150 runners registered which is great for such a local trail event, at the periphery of San Jose. I left after the first 15 runners finished the 10K and didn't see if teammate Gary (Gelin) broke last year's course record. I'm sure high-tech Adam will post the results quickly tonight or tomorrow morning on the Club website.
This park is wonderful and offers just the right amount of parking at the Hacienda entrance, making the logistics very easy. I already wrote a few stories about the Quicksilver Park, check them out! Here is "referee Pierre-Yves Couteau", proudly wearing his Rio Del Lago t-shirt from last week's 100-miler.
It was great to see you all running this morning. After last week's 100-miler, I just ran 6 flat miles on Friday and 14 miles on Saturday with my fellow Striders (my other running club, the Stevens Creek Striders of Cupertino). I'll work on speed this week before my upcoming race.

If you enjoy speed or just being out there and supporting the trails, please consider running or walking the Trailblazer 5K or 10K in Mountain View (Microsoft site) next Sunday morning!

Also, while I'm on local announcements, we will celebrate Tom Kaisersatt's life at the Queen of the Apostles Church of San Jose, next Saturday morning (September 25) at 9 AM. Please consider joining us if you live in the South Bay Area.

Run Happy!

No comments: